Heywood Gardens

Enquire now - click here

Completed in 1912, the property consists of gardens, lakes, woodland and architectural features. It was transferred to State ownership in November 1993 from the Salesian Fathers who had taken care of it since 1941. The Formal Gardens form the centre-piece of the property and were designed by the famous architect, Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944) and probably landscaped by Gertrude Jekyll (1843-1932). It is one of four Gardens in this country designed by him, the others being in the War Memorial Park, Lambay Island and Howth Castle. The gardens are composed of four elements linked by a terrace that ran along the front of the house, which now no longer exists. An extensive replanting programme is currently underway. There is also limited access for visitors with disabilities.

Admission free of charge.

Opening hours: October to March 8.30am to 5.30pm
April to September 8.30am to 7pm
May to August 8.30am to 9pm

 

Slideshow

Facilities

- Car Parking

In This Area

- Accommodation
- Abbeyleix Heritage House
- Castle Durrow
- Irish Fly-Fishing and Game-Shooting Museum

Contact Details

Ballinakill,
Co. Laois
Phone 057 8733563 / 087 6675291
Fax 057 8733563
Email heywoodgardens@opw.ie
Request Free Information Pack

Download Mid Ireland Visitors Guide

Download