Portumna Castle & Gardens

Enquire now - click here

The great semi-fortified house at Portumna was built before 1618 by Richard Burke or de Burgo, 4th Earl of Clanricarde. It was the main seat of the de Burgo family for over 200 years, until it was gutted by fire in 1826. The ground floor of the house is now open to the public. To the north of the house are formal, geometrically laid out gardens. Portumna Castle now includes the recently restored 17th century walled kitchen garden. Following its original plan the garden has been organically planted with fruit trees, flowers, herbs and vegetables, all combining to make it a treat to the senses. Portumna Castle is surrounded by the towns' local attractions - Lough Derg, the River Shannon and Portumna Forest Park. Limited wheelchair access for visitors to gardens and Gate House.

Opening arrangements: Early April to Mid October, Daily 9.30 - 6.00pm.  Weekends: 9.30am to 5.00pm 
Last admission 45 minutes before closing.

Admission charges: Adult €4.00, Group & Senior Citizen €3.00,

Child/Student €2.00, Family €10.00

HERITAGE CARDS - FREE entry to all OPW sites for one year.

Adult €25, Senior €20, Child/Student €10, Family €60.

 

1ST WEDNESDAY OF EACH MONTH FREE ADMISSION

 

 

Facilities

- Exhibitions
- Gardens
- Public Car & Coach Parking
- Restaurant & Tearooms within walking distance

In This Area

- Accommodation
- Portumna Forest Park
- Golf Club
- Emerald Star Cruising
- Fishing on the lake
- Pitch & Putt
- Play Area
- Restaurants
- Pubs
- Pallas Karting
- Gift Shops
- Tourist Office
- Library
- The Yew Walk
- Dartfield Horse Museum & Heritage Centre

Contact Details

Portumna,
Co. Galway
Phone 090 9741658
Fax 090 9741889
Email portumnacastle@opw.ie
Request Free Information Pack

Download Mid Ireland Visitors Guide

Download